After months of not writing a blog, I got up last Friday (04/04) fully intending that this would be the first day of many blogs.
I have had a lovely few months. We had a holiday at the beginning of the year away from the stresses of an architect building a home for himself; then we spent 5 weeks travelling around the country with my sister from England and sharing with her some of my favourite places in this beautiful land; then more friends from overseas. We had a few days in Australia visiting 4 artists in their studios and then a trip to Hobart in Tasmania to visit MONA – Museum of Old and New Art. What an exciting time that was and what an amazing building. Here’s the link. Please take a look you will hardly believe what has been achieved here.
In February we moved house although the new house isn’t ready to move into and following a series of minor (or maybe major) disasters it won’t be ready for another two or three months so we are going to Europe for three months. We are busy planning our trip with friends in Italy with whom we shall stay and then go to Spain with them. How exciting!
But the best-laid plans – on Friday (04/04) we heard that there had been a major fire in a storage facility in Wellington and yes, all my worldly goods were stored in that facility. Panic ensued and nothing else was thought of for the rest of the day. However, the next day we went to the site and discussed the situation with the General Manager and the Fire Chief. We were told there would be water and smoke damage but both thought it would be minimal.
So there followed a week of waiting to be told that we could go onto the site; meeting with removal men to determine where the soggy goods would be stored; going to the new facility and sorting out what had to be removed immediately – boxes that disintegrated as they were lifted. These mainly held linen and scarves – easily washed so no real problem – and shoes. This was a different matter as they all had to be stuffed with newspaper and dried at the fire.
Of real concern though was the artwork, prints etc. Fortunately, my daughter has just bought a house with a self-contained apartment attached. So we moved the pictures into that and set the dehumidifier. It looks as if we have been really lucky.
Books, photos and papers were in plastic storage bins so again we have been very lucky. The photos and letters were what I was most concerned about. Everything else is just stuff.
And now we are told that the fire was arson. The mind boggles at how anybody could do something like this. All week we have heard terrible stories of people having lost everything. CCTV coverage shows a man entering the facility with what looks like a drum of petrol. Let’s hope they get this man quickly.