I do know that many if not all my American blogging buddies will write about Independence Day the celebrations and what the day means to them. So what, I asked myself could I possibly add being an Englishwoman? And I answered myself “Nothing”.
So I decided to look up the definition of Independence/Independent in my Colllins Dictionary, and saw that it gives 10 definitions.
Independence – n the state or quality of being independent.
Independent – adj
- free from control in action, judgement etc; autonomous
- not dependent on anything else for function, validity etc; separate
- not reliant of the support, especially financial , of others
- capable of acting for oneself or on one’s own; a very independent little girl
- providing a large unearned sum towards one’s support (especially independent means, independent income)
- living on an unearned income
- Maths (of a system of equations) not all satisfied by the same set of values for the variables
- Logic (of two or more propositions) unrelated
- an independent person or thing
- a person who is not affiliated to or who acts independently of a political party.
Having followed many bloggers for a little over a year I can attest to the fact that most, if not all, are certainly free from control in action, not reliant on the support of others, capable of acting for oneself and an independent person.
We all like and probably need support of others in our lives, but we can and often do manage without any.
So to my sister living in Los Angeles, my adopted sister in Virginia and all my other American blogging buddies
“You have to love a nation that celebrates its independence every July 4, not with a parade of guns, tanks, and soldiers who file by the White House in a show of strength and muscle, but with family picnics where kids throw Frisbees, the potato salad gets iffy, and the flies die from happiness. You may think you have overeaten, but it is patriotism.” ~Erma Bombeck, 1927-1996
- Independence Day (pattisjarrett.wordpress.com)
- Happy Independence Day to America’s Entrepreneurs (blogs.constantcontact.com)
- Happy Independence Day!! (essencetalent.wordpress.com)