Katharine Hepburn won Best Actress a record four times. She never once showed up at the Oscars to accept the award. But her multiple wins prove that, back then, if they thought you deserved it you won.
A couple of days ago I wrote a post that meandered through my thoughts. Among the things I wrote about were Awards, and accepting or declining them.
One of the comments I received on the post made me think that perhaps my ramblings could have been misconstrued and might have been considered rude. Of course, this was not my intention and if anybody took the ramblings in this way, I sincerely apologise.
As I said in that post my concern was for the question of having to nominate several other bloggers for this award. I find this difficult to do as I follow so many great bloggers and read some others to whom I haven’t yet subscribed. How do you pick and choose from the list? In the past I have got
around over my concern about this by nominating all those on my blogroll. Cheating I guess!
Sometimes a few days pass before I read all the posts waiting in my in box. A few days after I published the post I read that I had been awarded the Leibster Award by fellow blogger the island traveler.
So as I am a woman, and it is well known that we change our minds (I’m also blonde so make of that what you will) I will accept both these awards with grace but in doing so will cheat again and instead of nominating five (or is it fifteen?) bloggers to receive the award, I nominate all those on my blog roll. You have all entertained me, made me think, taught me many new things and kept me on my toes in the nine months since I started on this blogging journey. We have connected in a way that I wouldn’t have thought possible before this time. So thank you all and please accept this award as an early Christmas present.
Also please accept the versatile blogger award. This was graciously awarded to me a couple of weeks ago by Janet at thoughts to mull. I hope that Janet was not offended by the remarks in my earlier blog.
Again I nominate all of you on my blog roll to receive this award.
This award calls for me to tell you seven things about myself If you have been following me in the past months you will have seen these things (or some of them) before. If so, please take it as written/read/said.
- I consider myself blessed in that I had a great upbringing in a loving and secure family environment. I know from reading some of the blogs and talking with friends that this was not afforded to everybody.
- I was blessed in my relationship with my husband aka the dashing (not so) young Scotsman, that lasted 41 years until his untimely death in 1998. I say that I grew up with him and have him to thank for the woman I am today.
- I am blessed in my two grown children who now each have two children of their own. I like and respect the people they chose to be their spouses and of course, I love my four sturdy, bright grandsons.
- I am blessed in that I have two sisters, one in London in the UK and one in Los Angeles , California with whom I am very close. I say that the best friends of all are sisters. We don’t see each other very often now but we are in regular contact via the phone and more particularly emails.
- I am an English woman who chooses to make her life in Godzone otherwise known as New Zealand/Aotearoa (the land of the long white cloud).
- I am a trained life coach and in recent years have spent time helping people come to terms with grief and loss.
- I am “retired” and now spend my time helping a Real Estate agent friend in her business, running courses mostly on Self Confidence building, writing, blogging and I volunteer at the local hospice each week.
So there you have it. Thank you once again for reading my posts and thanks to those who consider them worthy of awards. I hope that my making my own rules for acceptance doesn’t step on anybody’s toes. And as Peter Ustinov said :
“To refuse awards is another way of accepting them with more noise than is normal”.
Note – just re-read the post and see that the word ‘more’ was left out of the quote by Peter Ustinov.
- We have been nominated for the Liebster Award! (smacktalkradio.wordpress.com)
- Another Award – Thanks (growingyoungereachday.wordpress.com)