I read this post a few days ago and while I was intrigued and interested in its content I was literally blown away at the number of comments the blogger had received. How would I ever find time to respond to 427 comments? While I do know that she doesn’t always get this number but my mind still boggles at the thought.
Time is elusive. We all have the same amount of it – 24 hours every day. So how do we use that time?
Since I started blogging I find that more and more of my time is taken up reading other people’s blogs. And while I don’t have nearly as many comments as 427 to respond to, I always make time to respond to those I do receive.
One of my biggest negative beliefs was that I never had enough time. I have been working on that and over many years I have compiled a long list of suggestions on how to effectively manage my time. Some have been very useful and some not so. Those that I have found useful include:
- Ask yourself what is the best use of my time right now?
- Concentrate on only one thing at a time
- Do it now. Handle each piece of paper once only. Deal with it and then move on
- Finish the things you start. Having 10 things 90% complete causes chaos and stress
- Do like things at the same time. Make a list of phone calls. Block off the time in your journal and make all the calls then
- Be clear about priorities. Clearly mark each item on the To Do List A B or C. Do the As first, then the Bs and you may find the Cs fall off the list and don’t need to be done.
- Take your organizer to appointments with doctors, dentists, etc. You can then use the waiting time usefully
- Keep systems simple. Complex systems are cumbersome and difficult to maintain
- Check emails only three times a day. Have you ever noticed just how much time can be spent reading and responding to emails?
- Keep a log of what you do each day, phone calls etc. It can save you loads of time when you want to remember what you said to whom.
These things work for me – but not, I would hasten to add if I had over 400 comments to respond to. In the event that I ever received that many comments on one post I would probably have to devote the whole day just to making the responses. But that’s quite a goal to reach for.
“I’m late, I’m late for a very important date. No time to say “Hello.” Goodbye. I’m late, I’m late, I’m late.” The White Rabbit in Alice in Wonderland
* The colored image of the White Rabbit is the copyright of Disney. This material may not be used for any commercial or for profitable means in any way without permission from Disney.