Love is in the air
Everywhere I look around
Love is in the air
Every sight and every sound
And I don’t know if I’m being foolish
Don’t know if I’m being wise
But it’s something that I must believe in
And it’s there when I look in your eyes
Click to see the JPY’s promo-video for the hit single ‘Love Is In The Air’ (May, 1978), taken from the 1978 album ‘Love Is In The Air’
So much has been written already on the subject of the Royal Wedding but I wanted to add a few thoughts from this side of the world. There are many Royalists in New Zealand , and probably as many anti-Royalists. But it is amazing how many people watched the spectacle on Friday.
All the magazines, newspapers, radio and TV stations were full of The wedding. And it is still the main topic of conversation among sentimental New Zealanders.
We are told that Kiwis (New Zealanders) were so inspired by the love story of Prince William and new wife Catherine that they went in search of their own Prince or Princess.
The dating website Find Someone has recorded a 60% increase in people on the site, with a large number of users messaging other singles.
And yesterday while having lunch I eavesdropped on the people nearby.
- At the next table was a group of young women all of whom had apparently, recently been married. From their conversation it emerged that they had all got together on Friday, dressed in their wedding finery and had their own party while they watched the TV coverage. They weren’t concerned that their official invites hadn’t arrived. They enjoyed the evening in the comfort of home with a group of like-minded friends.
- In complete contrast, at another table a woman was loudly decrying the waste of taxpayers money spent on this spectacle. She claimed that the 48million GBP (figure in dispute) could have been better spent on housing the homeless or some other equally deserving cause. She is certainly entitled to her opinion but how did she think the future King of England was going to celebrate his wedding. And what about all those people on the spot who celebrated with the young couple.
- And at another table a group of young women and one man, were discussing the upcoming wedding of one of them. The excitement and the stress of the planning were quite palpable. I hope the wedding celebrations work out as well as that of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.
- And there were other weddings taking place on Friday around our City. I want to wish the happy couples joy and love for the future.
And that’s my take on the Wedding of the Decade. And my favorite wedding quote from an unknown author –
“I dreamed of a wedding of elaborate elegance,
A church filled with family and friends.
I asked him what kind of a wedding he wished for,
He said one that would make me his wife.”
“How can you think love will end when I’ve asked you to spend your whole life with me”
- Royal Wedding Album (yourlondoneye.wordpress.com)
- 484: 29/04/11 – where i was when will wed kate (hilaryalex.wordpress.com)