You think that I don’t even mean a single word I say.
It’s only words, and words are all I have, to take your heart away….
from Words by the Bee Gees
I started blogging on March 1 and am now totally committed to writing a blog a day. For committed read obsessed and/or addicted.
I hear a song on the radio and immediately I turn it into a blog. Something comes on the TV and I think blog. Words have always been very important to me and I have written all my life; from a diary at school, to articles for magazines, a book and now of course, the next natural home for me is the blog-a-sphere.
I look at a printed word and ask – what does it say, what does it mean and how is it being used? The next question is in what context would I use that word.
The word ‘revenge’ has just been said in a TV program. What would I write about revenge? Nothing has happened in my life for which I need revenge. So I would use that word in a story, or use it to illustrate an item.
Other words that I have heard today:
- Adventure – well there’s plenty I could write on this subject. The adventure of moving around the world (twice) to make homes on the other side of the world. Adventure in meeting new friends and sometimes coming across old friends in unexpected places then
- Friends – I wrote a blog on friends and friendship a couple of days ago.
- Weddings – the marriage of Prince William and Kate Middleton is all over the news at present. I wrote a blog on weddings earlier this month.
- London – of course has been in the news because of the Royal Wedding. I was born and brought up in this most magical of cities. I have written on growing up there in an earlier blog.
- Family – I could write screeds (and already have) on family, my children, their children, my sisters and their children and families. There will be more on this subject in future blogs.
- Sisters – I have two sisters who feature in my blogs and for whom I am truly grateful. They also are on my gratitude list.
- Parents – mine unfortunately, are now both dead but they were great influences on me; each in a different but important way.
- Kidnap – we have just had a news report about a young child who has been kidnapped. The reasons why and the eventual outcome could perhaps be the subject of a later blog.
- Love – I was lucky to meet my soul mate very early in my life and spent 41 years happily (for the most part) married to him.
- Genealogy – Who Do You think You Are was on TV earlier. In it ‘celebrities’ trace their heritage. What would take days or months in real time they accomplish in an hour. My young sister is deeply into our roots and can trace the family back many generations and many years.
Tomorrow, I shall spend time with my Grandsons so am writing tomorrow’s blog tonight, Wednesday here and set it to publish tomorrow.
And now I have all these words running around my head as I am preparing to wind down for the day and get ready for bed. Of course, now I am off on a tangent thinking of future blogs.
“It is necessary to write, if the days are not to slip emptily by. How else, indeed, to clap the net over the butterfly of the moment? For the moment passes, it is forgotten; the mood is gone; life itself is gone. That is where the writer scores over his fellows: he catches the changes of his mind on the hop.” ~Vita Sackville-West, 1892 – 1962, author, poet and gardener
Photo – Ed Dear
- Blog? What blog? (havecoffeewillwrite.wordpress.com)