“Time like the wind
Goes hurrying by and the hours just fly
Where to begin
There are mountains I’d climb if I had time
So much to do
If I only had time, if I only had time
Dreams to pursue
If I only had time, they’d be mine “
If I Only Had Time sung by John Rowles
Well I don’t know about climbing mountains but there are still dreams to pursue and if I were to write a Bucket List it would include so many things. But why have a Bucket List? The days, as John Rowles says, go hurrying by and often I find myself caught up in a round of day-to-day activities and at the end of the day I wonder what have I achieved.
So while I always have a daily To Do List I am now going to open it up into a Bucket List – not necessarily a daily one but a list of things I want to achieve within a certain time frame.
So what am I going to put on my Bucket List? This will be more than a list of goals. It will be just like planning ahead all the highlights I want for the rest of my life.
- I will start with visiting some of the places that I haven’t been to yet. These include Sedona in Arizona; Egypt and the pyramids; Ireland and this will be expanded as I think of other places.
- I would like to re-visit Japan, Athens, Rome and of course, Paris.
- I want to spend some more time with my sisters
- I would also like to spend time in my favorite village – Siddlesham just outside Chichester in Sussex in the UK.
- I want to turn my small book ‘Suddenly Single’ into a full-sized book and hopefully find a publisher
- Of course, I want to see my grandchildren grow up
- To read all the books on my ‘want to read’ list and keep adding to it
- The Bucket List is endless and I can keep adding to it.
In doing this I want to instill some kind of race against time; to maximize every moment and live life to the fullest. Yes, there will be time to read all the books on my list. It wont all be rushing around or travel. But it will be a constant reminder, continually updated, of all that I want to achieve.
So now I am going to start writing my list. I will ask myself these questions:
- What if I were told that I only had a few months to live. What would I wish to do before I die.
- What other places would I like to visit
- What have I always wanted to do but haven’t done yet.
- What experiences do I want to have
- Who else would I like to see again
- If money was no object what would I do.
So over the next few days I am going to start writing and don’t intend to stop until I reach at least 100 things. That should keep me busy for a few days and working out how to achieve them will keep me busy even longer.
And I should like to introduce you to a new friend who will keep me company during this mammoth task – along with Lotte my Tibetan Spaniel of course.
And from W H Davies –
“What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.”
William Henry Davies, 1871-1940, Welsh Poet and Writer
- My Bucket List (scribblingsofasoccermom.com)